Academic Tutoring, i-Connect and Personal Development are at the heart of what we do at the Thomas Deacon Academy.
We have developed a range of bespoke strategies and programmes to ensure that we support our students in fulfilling their potential and in preparing them for their life after their time with us. i-Connect refers to the wide range of sessions, activities and opportunities that we provide for our students which includes developing transferable skills.
The key elements of i-Connect are:
- A daily 25 minute i-Connect session where students have regular contact with their tutor group alongside students from all years in the vertical tutoring system.
- A fortnightly theme that allows students to develop their understanding of the world, linking to current affairs and important local, national and international events and additional activities that encourage students to ‘Drop everything and Read’ and develop literacy skills through the defining of a ‘Word of the Week’.
- The Personal Development lessons that incorporate key elements of PSHEE (Personal Social Health and Economic Education) and Citizenship and are taught in horizontal year group classes.
- Academic Tutoring involves regular one-to-one meetings between students and their personal tutor about their progress and attainment in which learning targets are set and reviewed. Records of the meetings are available on the Academy’s VLE (virtual Learning Environment) which allows parents and students to view these targets.
- The College Sessions (including the College Assemblies).
We are committed to the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of our students as well as ensuring the highest possible level of care and support for them throughout everything that they do.
Please Contact Us if you require further information